This page will be updated with the latest general information and materials and made available to all Christian schools.
CSA member schools will find other materials and resources in the relevant sections of the site.
There are a wide range of resources available from the Australian and State/Territory Governments –
Information and Updates -Health Departments
- Australian Government Health Department– https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert
- QLD Government Health Department – https://www.health.qld.gov.au/news-events/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus
- NSW Government Health Department – https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/diseases/Pages/coronavirus.aspx
- ACT Government Health Department – https://www.health.act.gov.au/public-health-alert/updated-information-about-covid-19
- VIC Government Health Department – https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
- TAS Government Health Department – https://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/publichealth/communicable_diseases_prevention_unit/infectious_diseases/coronavirus
- SA Government Health Department – https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/public+content/sa+health+internet/health+topics/health+topics+a+-+z/COVID+2019
- WA Government Health Department – https://www.healthywa.wa.gov.au/coronavirus https://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/Articles/A_E/Coronavirus
Information and Updates -Education Departments
- Australian Government Department of Education
- QLD Government Education Department, QCAA
- NSW Government Education Department, NESA
- ACT Government Education Department, BSSS
- VIC Government Education Department, VCAA
- TAS Government Education Department, TASC
- SA Government Education Department, SACE
- WA Government Education Department, SCSA
- Smartcopying Website – copyright implications for schools during COVID-19
- Fair Work Ombudsman – https://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/news-and-media-releases/website-news/coronavirus-and-australian-workplace-laws
- Safework Australia – https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/doc/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-employers
International Information Sources
- World Health Organisation – https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
- Association of Christian Schools International – https://community.acsi.org/coronavirusresources/home
- Interviews with Brian Van Tasset, Angela Patterson, Jenni Johnson
Government health emergency response plans also generally include briefings and liaison with the independent schools association in your jurisdiction who will provide additional information.
*NEW* 3 April – our Briefing on Regulatory and Compliance Changes in response to COVID-19 has been updated for the 3 April temporary regulatory relief in relation to Governance Standards 1 and 5 and External Conducts Standards 1 and 2 announced by the ACNC.
*NEW* 3 April – Questions and answers from the CSA / Resolve Consulting Coronavirus (COVID-19) Videoconference held 1 April 2020 are available here.
*NEW* 2 April – The Government has announced a new support package for the early childhood sector, see our Briefing.
31 March – What do politicians and the media mean by “lockdowns” or “shutdowns”? Check out the actual orders in our Briefing.
30 March – The Prime Minister has announced details of the Commonwealth Government’s JobKeeper Payment scheme, details in our Briefing.
29 March – The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RANZCOG) have updated their advice and now indicate that “Pregnant women should be considered a vulnerable or at-risk group”. They go on to indicate that “Pregnant women are advised to avoid all non-essential travel. Generally speaking, it is safest to stay at home and to avoid public spaces. Reduce your use of public transport and work from home, if possible.”
29 March – School cleaning and COVID-19 information in our Briefing.
28 March – National Cabinet Statement on Schools is addressed in our Briefing.
26 March – Questions and Answers from the CSA COVID-19 Videoconference held 25 March are available here .
26 March – All States and Territories have now announced plans to the end of Term One, although further announcements may still be made. The announcements include altering the dates, encouraging parents to keep children at home and/or having limited supervision/pupil free days in the last week of term for [at least] Government schools, except for the ACT which announced three weeks of pupil-free days. Across all jurisdictions provisions are still being made during those days for children of ‘essential workers’, a term loosely defined and largely any worker who needs to send their child to school, on school sites.
We would encourage all schools to monitor what is happening in their State or Territory, with the possible exception of the ACT, and make similar arrangements. In the ACT we understand that schools are well advanced in their provisions of alternative modes of education.
24 March – Details of the economic support being provided by the Australian Government are detailed in our Briefing.
24 March – Details of the regulatory and compliance changes being provided by the Australian Government are detailed in our Briefing.
23 March – Updates on announcements today from various State/Territory governments are available here .
21 March – Questions and Answers from the CSA COVID-19 Videoconference held 20 March are available here.
20 March – we have been asked about preventative strategies for those who may be pregnant – the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RANZCOG) advises the following preventative measures:
- Hand washing regularly and frequently with an alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water?
- Avoidance of anyone who is coughing and sneezing
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth
- Social-distancing and reducing general community exposure
- Early reporting and investigation of symptoms
- Prompt access to appropriate treatment and supportive measures if infection is significant
18 March – The Prime Minister announced, following a meeting with all Premiers and Chief Ministers last night, a number of further measures in responding to coronavirus (COVID-19). See the Media Statement here.
17 March – Special Update from CSA CEO here
17 March – Updated information on the copyright implication of remote and online learning is available on the SmartCopying website.
14 March – Australian Government Health Department videos released –
13 March – Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) Recommendation for public gatherings and testing have been released, and accepted by Government – restricting outdoor gatherings of more than 500 persons.
11 March – the Smartraveller website is indicating that the same travel restrictions in place for China, Iran and South Korea will be put in place for Italy from 6pm on Tuesday 12 March. Sample documents below may need to be updated accordingly.
To further assist schools we have prepared resources which can be downloaded from the links below including:
- *UPDATED* 29 March Our outline of employment implications arising from COVID-19 has been updated in relation to “high risk” staff (Available for download by members and SRS Participants and to other Christian School leaders on request)
- *NEW* 27 March Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Stand Down and Related Matters (Available for download by members and SRS Participants and to other Christian School leaders on request)
- *NEW* 27 March A draft letter to parents on pupil free days and Term Two attendance needs
- 24 March Sample Working from Home Policy
- 22 March Alternative Education Provision Framework Document
- 22 March A draft letter to parents on possible school closures
- 21 March Social distancing guide for Schools – see also Commonwealth Department of Health advice here
- 21 March An outline of employment implications arising from COVID-19 (Available for download by members and SRS Participants and to other Christian School leaders on request)
- 21 March A further draft letter to parents and carers updating them following the decision to cancel NAPLAN (replaced by 22 March letter below)
- 19 March A draft response letter to the IEU regarding COVID-19 (Available for download by members and SRS Participants and to other Christian School leaders on request)
- 18 March A further draft letter to staff updating them following Government announcements earlier today
- 5 March A draft letter to staff updating them following Government changes
- 15 March A draft letter to parents and carers updating them following Government changes
- 13 March A collection of posters, fact sheets and info-graphics which may assist schools in communicating with parents and others regarding this issue.
- 10 March A sample risk register identifying some of the key risks for schools, factors to be considered in assessing those risks and some ideas for potential mitigation strategies;
- 10 March A draft letter to parents and carers updating them on both the school’s responses and preparedness and the expectations on them to assist the school; and
- 10 March A draft letter to staff updating them on school plans and their responsibilities