Christian Philosophy of Education
A written statement of personal philosophy of Christian Education is often requested when a teacher or leader applies for employment or promotion in a Christian school. It is also a useful point of reference when conducting performance appraisals.
A Christian Philosophy of Education seeks to address 3 elements:
How Does God view those placed in my care?
What is my calling?
What is the Telos (end, purpose or goal) of our time together?
These guidelines and samples are provided to assist you in developing and articulating your own statement. Each individual’s statement will be different, reflecting the insights, convictions and experiences gained through your journey in Christian Education.
CSA welcomes additional samples and resources to enhance the material provided on this site. We can all learn from one another as we travel this journey together.
KEY QUESTIONS TO ADDRESS WHEN WRITING A PHILOSOPHY OF CHRISTIAN EDUCATION:
What is our purpose as God’s people?
* GLORIFYING GOD
* CHRISTIAN WORLDVIEW
* UNDERSTANDING THE BIBLICAL NARRATIVE
What is the role of the Christian school in society?
* SUPPORTING PARENTS ROLE OF EDUCATING/NURTURE/RAISING CHILDREN
* HOME, CHURCH AND SCHOOL WORKING TOGETHER
* ACCOUNTABILITY TO GOVERNMENT
* PREPARING STUDENTS TO POSITIVELY CONTRIBUTE TO SOCIETY
What sense of call and purpose do we aim to see in students?
* VIEW OF STUDENT’S PLACE IN THE WORLD.
– MEANING/PURPOSE IN LIFE,
– CALL TO SERVICE Sample Excerpt A1
* STUDENT COMMITMENT TO CHRIST, CALL, DISCIPLESHIP, CHARACTER, WISDOM, FAITH, OBEDIENCE
* GLORIFYING GOD BY FAITHFUL RESPONSE, SEEKING EXCELLENCE
* MOTIVATED AND ENGAGED IN LIFE-LONG LEARNING
What student development do we seek?
* STUDENT DEVELOPMENT – SPIRITUALLY,
– THINKING/PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS,
– RENEWING OF THE MIND.
* STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT – MAXIMISING POTENTIAL: ACADEMICALLY, INFORMATION SKILLS, TECHNOLOGY
* INCLUSIVITY, Sample Excerpt A5
– RECOGNITION OF DIVERSE NEEDS/GIFTINGS/LEARNING STYLES
What type of community is needed?
* STUDENT SAFETY AND WELL-BEING Sample Excerpt A4
* COMMUNITY – GRACE, SHALOM
– GOD FEARING, BIBLE FOCUSED, SPIRIT LED,
* COLLABORATION/INTERACTION/DISCIPLESHIP/LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
* SERVICE AND MISSION
Sample Excerpt C1
What essential staff characteristics are important?
* STAFF AS ROLE MODELS – character/purpose/lifelong learning
* DEVELOPING TEACHER CAPACITY/EFFECTIVENESS
What approaches to Education will achieve our ends?
* CURRICULUM DESIGN -WORLDVIEW/BIBLICAL NARRATIVE
* LEARNING ENVIRONMENT